American Express to charge £20 “dormancy fee”

”American

American Express has announced plans to start charging customers who no longer use their Amex card.

The £20 per year “dormancy fee” will be charged to all Platinum Cashback credit card holders.

According to Amex’s website, the fee is charged to customers “if the aggregate amount of all transactions [on their account], other than cash advances & balance transfers, that have taken place during the preceding 12 months is £0.”

A spokesperson for the company said the “vast majority” of customers will not be affected by the fee.

Credit card comparison site moneysupermarket.com said the charge comes as “no great surprise”.

“We expect to see more providers introduce similar charges as they seek to recoup the losses they are making on the credit card lending,” said Peter Harrison, moneysupermarket.com’s credit card expert.

Keeping dormant accounts open costs credit card companies money, Harrison explained.

Customers wanting to avoid the charge need only to use their Amex card once per year.

Amex also announced that it has also reduced the top rate of cashback on its Platinum card to 1.25%.

EDITORS NOTE: I have no idea why so many American Express customers think Finance Markets is connected to the credit card – we’re not.

So please stop trying to publish your account numbers and names on our website, as this is plainly a security risk to you!!

Tags: , ,

Comments (140)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Lone Reddin says:

I wish to close my account and have the fee removed.

2. A H Bruce says:

Have written 4 times to cancel & chopped up my card, but NIL response. they can shove their impertinent demand for money where the monkey shoved its nuts!

3. Rachel Kelly says:

Please cancel my account I no longer use this card.
    Rachel Kelly

4. I wish to have the dormancy fee cancelled and close the account.
    Many thanks
    Dave Prowse.

5. MRS ANGELA LAYTON says:

I wish to have the account closed and the fee removed

Many thanks

A C Layton

6. chris fortune says:

I would like to close my account and have the fee removed.
    Thanks

7. chris fortune says:

I am not sure what you mean by “Your comment is awaiting moderation”
    I do not use the card… I did not know that I had one …. so please cancell all cards etc.

8. fay waite says:

how dare you send me a bill for not using this service I will not pay this fee and demand you the charge off and close this account which has never been used

9. BASIL H BARR says:

I do not wish to continue with my Americsn Express card. Please cancel and delete the DORMANCY FEE.

Regards

B H BARR

10. Dr Andrew Reid says:

I am not prepared to pay this dormancy fee. Your website does not tell me how to close my account and have the fee removed. Kindly do that asap

11. Ivan Cross says:

Have not used card for years and did not activate 07/10 please have dormancy fee cancelled

12. William Johnston says:

I HAVE DONE AS YOU ASKED REGARDING CLOSING THIS ACCOUNT AND I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY MEANS OF DOING SO. I WANT TO CANCEL THIS ACCOUNT AND THE FEE AS OF NOW. PLEASE SEND ME THE MEANS TO DO SO AS I AM NOT DUE TO PAY FOR A CARD I DO NOT USE. PREVIOUSLY I CALLED TO CANCEL THIS CARD AND IT WAS AMERICAN EXPRESS THAT ASKED ME TO KEEP THE CARD AND THEY CANCELLED THE FEE. I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN NOTICE OF ANY CHARGES BEFORE THE YEAR END DATE.

William Johnston

13. John Yarnold says:

I have never asked for these cards or used them and the last ones were returned to you in pieces asking you to remove me from your records. I have no intention of sending you any money and would like you to cancel the cards as previously requested.

John Yarnold

14. raj kumar says:

i ask you to close my account.(on the phone)but you still sent me the card. i did not activate the card. so i am not going to pay this £20 . fees. so please i am asking to cancelled my account.ihave no intention to use this accounts

many thanks
    raj kumar

15. Chris Love says:

I wish to close the account and have the fee removed.

Many thanks,

Chris Love

16. Ashby Barros says:

I want to cancel my card and remove the £20 pound fee.
    Many thanks

17. Bashir Mohammad says:

I don’t want to use this account can you closed for me

18. Amazed you have the ordasity to charge a £20 fee, I have never used the card, as a lot of places do not take american express, you tell us to visit a web site,as to no were can you see were to take off this charge!!!!!. Canel it now and e-mail me conformation.
    Not Happy.

19. colin eric jones says:

I have not had any use for this card for years and no longer
    own same, have no idea how, to close my account, using this
    system as advised in the letter recieved,dated,26/11/2012.
    I can only hope, this email, being on the dormancy site will be
    read by the people, who installed it, and will act, upon my instructions
    and close my account , waiving the dormancy fee.

20. please cancel my account and have the £20.00 fee removed.i have not used the account for years.thank you.

21. WEI SAI LIANG says:

I wish to close my account, I have not used this account for several years and I do not own an American Express credit card.
    Please could you kindly close my account and have the fee removed.

Thanks.

Wei Sai.

22. Sheelagh Sloan says:

Was told to visit this website to have £20 dormancy fee removed but cannot find a more direct way of doing this apart from leaving this comment. I have been in credit with this account for a number of years and am frankly disgusted that I should be asked for this fee. I trust it will be removed immediately and my account shut down. Thank you.
    Sheelagh loan

23. Sheelagh Sloan says:

was told to visit this website to have £20 dormancy fee removed but cannot find a more direct way of doing this apart from leaving this comment. I have been in credit with this account for a number of years and am frankly disgusted that I should be asked for this fee. I trust it will be removed immediately and my account shut down. Thank you.
    Sheelagh Sloan

24. MIKE GRIMWADE says:

Please cancel card with immediate effect,never again with ‘AMEX’

25. violet louie hunt says:

I put in a request for my account tobe cancelled as I have distroyed my card has this been done???

26. Received claim for “dormancy fee”. I have had little use for American Express. Not always acceptable in retail/restaurants, etc. Often extra charge is made if I should use American Express. As an individual this extra is not acceptable.Interest rate is higher than other cards I have.
    Please remove my name and card and remove “dormancy fee” from my account.Advise this has been done a.s.a.p.
    “Dormancy Fee” is due for payment by 21 December 2012. Please expedite removal of this unwarranted charge before this date as stated in my account !
    Donald Fulton. 02/12/12.

27. Mrs G Roberts says:

Please cancell the dormancy fee for my husband and myself as we need to close the account which we have never used and have no intention of doing so in the future. My husband’s name is Mr William Thomas Roberts of the same address.

28. Ronald Michael Donovan says:

You state to visit this site in order to cancel card and waive dormancy fee. Where are the instructions? NOT GOOD!
    I wish to close my account and waive dormancyfee.

29. Ronald Michael Donovan says:

I wish to close my account and waive dormancy
    fee.

30. leonard daden says:

I wish to close the account.please have the stg 20 removed

31. leonard daden says:

i wish to close the a/c please cancel the £20 fee thaanks

32. mrs vera davidsonv says:

never used that card it was cut in half as soon as i got it and i would be very annoyed to be charged for it take my name off your list

33. John Hancock says:

I wish to close the account and have the free removed

34. Barry Devor says:

I cancelled my card in January and have just received a dormancyfee.I have gone to the website to cancel as directed by yourselves and yet i am unable to do so. Is this yet another way of getting money from us.

35. I decided not to use this card when I saw your exorbitant charges,please remove the dormancy fee of £20.00.I have torn the card up and will not be using your services again…..ever

36. Mrs Arvinder Walia says:

I want to cancel my card and avoid £20
    many thanks
    A k walia

37. samuel norman weston says:

please close the account and remove the fee

38. marion caldwell says:

I closed my account long ago and I have not had a valid Amex card for several years.
    Please close my amex account immediately and remove the dormancy fee

best wishes

Marion Caldwell

39. Vina Chauhan says:

Please remove my details and charges removed.

40. M.J.Swift says:

I refer to your recent statement demand for a dormancy fee on my account. I would confirm that as I have never used the card since it was initially offered to me and do not intend to use it in the future having already destroyed it I require you to close the account and withdraw the proposed dormancy fee.