|    FM Home   |    FM News   |    FM Forum   |    FM Blog   |   
30th of December 2010
|    Banking  |   Insurance  |   Property  |   Mortgages  |   Economy  |   Investments  |   Credit Cards  |   Debt  |   Loans  |   Pensions  |   Companies  |  
September 27, 2007    

Over 60s could benefit from equity release

Bookmark and Share

by Kay Murchie
”Over

Equity release gives people access to the value they have built up in their home for their own use and is a choice for many looking to maintain or create a better lifestyle or to meet an unexpected financial need.

According to research from Norwich Union, those aged 60 and above have a collective £841 billion tied up in their properties. If the equity in these properties is released, it could significantly ease the financial burden.

Approximately, 66% of the population are over the age of 60 and they receive under £10,000 each year and have around £82,446 in the value of their properties. With a higher average house price in the south east, these are in the best position to reap the benefits. A total of £173 billion is available to improve their way of life. However, the over 60’s in the north east are not in such a strong position, their equity is £30 billion in comparison.

However, the Norwich Union research showed that 90% of people over the age of 60 were not aware of the value of the property. A spokesperson for Norwich Union said that this was no surprise as 50% admitted that they had never had a valuation whereas 30% said they had their property valued over a decade ago.

In spite of easing the financial burden, 68% would not consider selling their home, one of the main reasons being they want to pass it onto their children. The remaining 32% would consider equity release as an option but 26% would only do so in the event of life-changing circumstances, i.e. the death of a spouse or should long-term care became necessary.

The spokesperson concluded that equity release offers retirees the opportunity to get their hands on the financial value of their property without having to move home.

Discuss this in the Finance Markets forums

Story link: Over 60s could benefit from equity release



Financial Services:





Related financial stories to: Over 60s could benefit from equity release:
Previous: «
Next: »

Visited 1939 times, 1 so far today

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment