|   FM Home  |   FM Forum  |   FM News  |   FM Blog  |  

Go Back   Finance & Money Forums > Finance > Investing

Investing General discussions on investing and investments: shares, bonds, commodities, forex, and funds.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Direct Investment Opportunities for the Little Guy/Gal

I've been watching Dragon's Den, and have been envious for some time of small investors who were in the right place at the right time, and invested relatively small amounts of money in new start ups that went on to take over the world (Body Shop as an example) - netting their initial investors a huge return in the process.

I understand how business angels work, but these require large amounts of money that I don't have. I would love to be able to invest between 10 and 1000 in such new ventures.

I think this would bring an interesting element of higher risk/potentially greater returns to my portfolio.

Is anyone else interested? Does anyone know how this can be done?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Direct Investment Opportunities for the Little Guy/Gal

To be honest, 10 to 1000 is such a small amount in business terms that I can't really see it going anywhere, unless set up as part of a larger fund - and then you basically have a mutual fund focusing on business investments (and the risks of business investments!).
Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Direct Investment Opportunities for the Little Guy/Gal

I agree with Brian. That small amount of money is not even economically sensitive. Even as part of a fund it doesn't make sense to me.

Those micro-loans (100 or more) work in selected third-world countries but in the developed world that is just a bad joke in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page